Wednesday, September 2, 2009

UPDATE- Dad's Treatment

For those of you inquiring as to the status of my dad's treatment, I decided I would just add it to my blog each time I have updates. Yesterday was day one of a six-eight week period for the stem cell harvest and transplant. For those of you that don't know, he has type IGG multiple myeloma(aka-bone marrow cancer). He is scheduled for the actual transplant on Oct.1. We mainly received all his paperwork(which is enormous!), his schedule of what he will be doing each day(as he will be coming in every day during this period), and his medication list/instructions(which is also huge!). I will be his caregiver on Mon.-Tues, his best friend Dave Audia(as many of you know lost his sweet wife a few yrs. ago to cancer)will do Wed and/or Thurs, and my mom will do weekends. This allows my mom to still work some(which is good financially and mentally)and I can go to a Wed.-Sat. work schedule. This has truly been a blessing in itself that we are still able to work and help with his care!

During this period he is considered an isolation patient. Although he will be going back and forth to Northside Hospital each day, he must wear a mask, we have to sanitize everything, watch what he eats, and cannot be left alone etc. all to prevent infection. The most critical period is days 1-12 after the transplant itself. We got a little bit of unexpected news yesterday that threw us all for a loop. We have always been told by his oncologist that his stage of cancer was caught very early(through a routine blood test for his diabetes). Although we knew that multiple myeloma is an extremely aggressive type of cancer, we were always under the impression that his was merely spotted on one arm bone and not in his bone marrow. We were informed that is not the case. It was in 100% of his bone marrow and is now down to 40% after the preliminary chemo. drugs(one of which did not work). I don't think it dampered my dad's spirits too much. I think we were all hoping that he would go through this and never have to worry about it again-optimistic I know! Now he has a 50% chance that he could have to undergo a second transplant in the future.

The doctor of course reminded us that a positive attitude makes all the difference in the world with any cancer and to stay optimistic that he will respond well to the first transplant and not have to do a second. So, I ask that you pray specifically for that-for dad to remain positive in beating this and that he will be in a full remission following the first transplant. I cannot say thank you enough to everyone for the thoughts and prayers so far...please keep them coming! I try to look at this time as positively as I can...at least I get to spend quality time each week with him!
Love you all~HUGS~Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment